Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about you, Tripp?

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,635
    We are having an open house during the afternoon (making cowboy chili) then a smaller dinner with friends (lobster) and we're making gingerbread houses, which I've never done properly before. (I usually just do the graham cracker version).

Then Friday we'll just do the present opening and play with toys all day.

I anticipate a good time.

Except that it's hot and rainy here.
  • LefunesteLefuneste Posts: 8,025
    Since now we live in a bigger house, wifey decided we should invite all the family to spend Xmas eve at hour place. So I'm gonna spend most of today and tomorrow cooking and cleaning.

Bah, humbug.

• moetownmoetown Posts: 3,290
    edited December 2015
    S_ _ _'s family celebrates on Christmas Eve; we 'have Christmas' with my mom on Jesus's birthday; and my mom's birthday is the 26th. I've really come to dread this little 3-day stretch.

In more exciting news, I'm about to watch episode 9 season 2 of The Leftovers!
    Last night/early early this morning, I was listening to the Beatles on Spotify. It sounded, absolutely horrible. Usually I don't notice that big of a difference between the sound of cds and the music on Spotify, but something is just wrong about the sound of the songs.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Ain't doin' nuthin'. Just worked for Stan the last few days delivering flowers. Was suppose to go to a party tonight but it's way the hell out in Cordova so nah. Tomorrow we have dinner with Sheri's relatives who fortunately live nearby. Unfortunately we have to endure the same crazy talk they spew out every time we see them. Her Mom's cousin is this old guy who always reminds us he wrote three books about the Civil War then segues into ghost plantation stories.. ?? After that probably gonna catch up on Fargo.
    And possible fraysia jamz with Shelby on saturday.
    I have mellowed on the new Star Wars some. There's a decent version on Free Movie Fans ( it goes badly out of sync for 45 minutes but it actually doesn't hurt the movie that much.) But I'm still frustrated by parts of it. Actually it made me appreciate aspects of (gulp) the prequels a bit. Lucas for all his faults was better at action scenes.. the prequels have lots of new exotic planets and they factor in some amount of voyage time, unlike the new one where everything seems to be taking place in the same solar system. Also, I don't know the names of ANY of the planets in it besides Jakku.. And the planets they do go to look like the same forest. Maz Kanata's planet (??) could have had a more fanciful environment. Or at least a more distinct one.
    But hey, I did kinda like it.

And I think Rian Johnson will probably deliver a great follow-up. So yes, I'm excited for Star Wars again.
    Favourite Beatles songs today:
    Day Tripper
    I Feel Fine
    Ticket to Ride
    Drive My Car
    Baby's in Black
    S_ _ _ gave me a fancy Pioneer car stereo for Christmas!
    I'll be getting it installed (along with an amp?) next week. I guess I may need to get some new speakers to go with it.
    edited December 2015
    Scott was saying recently that he's over the Beatles. Seems like I keep hearing this from people. Hey, I never liked Paul's schmaltzy side.. I think some kind of re-evaluation is going on though where people are starting to look at them as just a band and not the greatest thing the human race ever created.

I still dig 'em.
    Paul McCartney wrote Helter Skelter, so I'll forgive him for Obladi Oblada and Yesterday. I like the Beatles. I love a good number of their songs, I hate some, I'm indifferent to others. In other words, to me, they're a band like any other... And there are bands I like more (for instance, staying in the same period and country, I rate the Rolling Stones and The Kinks higher than The Beatles). I know they're important and stuff, but I leave that for the historians. I just listen to the music.
    Fav Beatles songs, top of my head: Helter Skelter, Strawberry Fields, Dear Prudence, Paperback Writer, Happiness is a warm gun, Rain, Here comes the sun, Flying.
    Now, whenever I hear "Hey Jude", I go "Hey Jew". And that, Moe, is entirely your fault.
    edited December 2015
    We're having unusually balmy weather for the season: yesterday it got as high as 16°C and today it's still well above freezing. And I noticed that, like many deniers, people on my side of the fence don't seem to know the difference between weather and climat. 8-|
    it's 78 degrees in Mempho right now.

We watched The Good Dinosaur last night. Loved it.
  • Sounds like y'all have been having a good time the past while, holidays or no. Yay!
    Yeah, Paperback Writer is also great, as is And Your Bird Can Sing.

I'm sure you've heard this story:

When he (Joe Walsh) heard the Beatles' "And Your Bird Can Sing," which contains a ridiculously finger-stretching George Harrison guitar solo, Walsh worked tirelessly until he mastered it. Years later, after he became famous, Walsh met Starr (Ringo) and told him the story. Starr looked at Walsh like he was nuts. Harrison had played two guitar parts separately and tracked them on top of each other in the studio.
    Moe, I was actually really impressed with how the Spotify Beatles catalog sounded.

However I was a) eating shrimp and b)listening on headphones. Both of which are rare for me these days.

So I might need to give it a more sober listen.
    It was mostly a problem with the earliest albums. They actually sounded better in the car than through my headphones.

I ordered an amp to go with my new stereo. Nothing that's gonna make my ears bleed, but I'll be able to crank my stereo without getting any distortion. I've been reading a bit about the factory speakers that came with my VW. There are 10 speakers in the car. 10 speakers! I think I'm going to leave the speakers alone. I didn't know what kind of amp to get - mono channel? 2 channel? 4 channel? I went with the 4 channel option. Don't ask me why...

Is 4 channels excessive? I feel a little ridiculous doing all this car stereo stuff. I haven't cared about car stereos since I was in high school and Pioneer, Jensen, and Alpine were all the rage.
    I wish rock stars still looked and dressed real freaky.
    Oh, I didn't realize She Loves You was never released on a UK album. I wish there were still radio djs and that they still spun singles.
    One last thing:

R.I.P. Meadowlark Lemon
    Jeez, R.I.P. Lemmy, too.
    And Haskell Wexler.

(pouring one out)
    I know who Haskell Wexler was, but I had to google Meadowlark Lemon.
    ...and John Bradbury.

sheesh.