Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about you, Tripp?

13»

Comments

• captqitncaptqitn Posts: 3,635
    I rarely spin the first few records. I cut my teeth on the Blue Album, so it's has always been the layered studio stuff that appealed to me.

I don't spin Sgt. Pepper very much, just because of the high percentage of songs that I've heard on classic rock stations too many times.

But I listen to everything else to this day, and you are wrong to not love it.

Wrong.

...and Snuff Garrett.
  • moetownmoetown Posts: 3,290
    I spent my childhood listening to the Beatles. My parents gave me Yellow Submarine when I was 5 or 6. I really only listened to side 1 since side 2 was all orchestral stuff. Northern Song, Hey Bulldog, It's All Too Much were on that one. They gave me Sgt Pepper a few years later. I still rock out to Good Morning and Lovely Rita.
    edited December 2015
    I was a little TOO into the Beatles until probably the end of middle school. My parents would try to get me to spend my allowance on some other band.

Mom: I heard Bread is good. Why don't you buy one of their albums?

In high school I started listening to the Stones and the Who. I didn't really give other bands a chance until my last 1 1/2 years in hs. I didn't 'discover' punk rock until I was in college. I had friends with tons of punk/new wave albums, so I was finally able to educate myself a bit. I still like to rock.
    I graduated in '81, FYI.
    I still love the Stones first album. Without slighting all the amazing stuff they put out when they were 'cool,' England's Newest... is probably my favorite. Their 2nd album is pretty great too.

The Pretty Things first album is also great. The singer sounds just drunk enough.
    Nothing's better than that drunk Goldilocks zone.
    You mean intense scrutiny from the press? I think the Bernie has got a large chunk of the Democratic base very against Hillary at this point. Even the most innocuous article or mention of Hillary online brings nothing but pro-Bernie ranting.

Next time you see a NY Times piece about Hillary, check the comments.
    They don't, but I do.
    The headliner in my car was coming detached, so I called around to find out how much it costs to fix that kinda thing. The first place I called said it would be $350. The 2nd place said $250. I finally found someone to do it for less than $200. I would've tried it myself if I didn't think I'd fuck it up. In the past, I probably would've just ignored it and let it fall, but I want to keep this jalopy for at least a few more years.
    Yeah. It's good to put some effort in to the objects that you need. Took me too many years to realize that.
    Saw an awesome show last night. Guitarist from Nectar&Trilogy and Jenn from Wye Oak plus a bunch of other locals put together a spot on Steely Dan tribute band. They did Can't Buy a Thrill start to finish. That would be one of the last Dan albums I would choose for that treatment, but it was a blast. Everyone clearly did their homework.
    Sounds like a groovy show.
    I'm gonna get my stereo and amp installed and hope I don't accidentally blow my factory speakers. I doubt I'll crank it up enough to cause any real danger. My 52 yr. old ear drums probably couldn't handle it.
    I wish someone would do the same around here for the Kinks.
    I've probably talked about the Kinks tribute show I saw in Portland. Elliot Smith sang a song, but I can't remember which one. Quasi and I can't remember who else were the band.
    That sounds tasty. I've always wanted to put together an Elton John tribute show.
  • TrippTripp Posts: 676
    Somebody who is a better critic than I am wrote a Force Awakens piece that hit's almost every point I made verbatim (almost).

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/28/star-wars-storytelling-and-fixing-it-in-post
    The great thing about the Stones, for me, is that since I was not a huge fan growing up I've been able to grow my appreciation for them constantly over the years. I still don't own any of their records and I NEVER felt I had to choose between them and and the Beatles but after awhile I realized that I actually love pretty much every song I've heard from them and then it occurs to you that's a lot of material over the course of a lot of time.
    My headliner is fixed! Hurray!
    An Elton John tribute show would be a blast, too.
    A K-tel tribute show would be a hoot.
    I don't know how many k-tel albums there were, but I bet there's a lot of good ones to choose from. I had one that had Jim Stafford's Spiders and Snakes and Brownsville Station's Smokin' in the Boys Room.
    40 Funky Favorites